Welcome to Douglas Street Surgery
With patient’s needs at the heart of everything we do, our website has been designed to make it easy for you to gain instant access to the information you need. As well as specific practice details such as opening hours and how to register, you’ll find a wealth of useful pages covering a wide range of health issues along with links to other relevant medical organisations.
SEEING THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME
There are a lot of situations where a face to face appointment with the doctor is not required as your problem can be dealt with more appropriately in another way:
For sexual health and contraception advise
Advise and counselling about managing of stress
Self referral number for minor musculo skeletal problems
Advise about financial problems
Free NHS Optician for all acute eye problems
You may not always need to see a GP to deal with your problem. Indeed, many problems may improve with time and simple remedies. Sore throats and coughs, for example, can be expected to last over a week, as long as you are not becoming more ill or breathless. There is good information available on the internet via NHS Inform www.nhsinform.co.uk or call 0800 224488 (8am – 10pm).
- For common ailments such as coughs, colds, 'flu', sore throats,cold sores, nasal congestion, hay fever, back ache, athlete's foot, constipation, period pain, thrush, threadworms and warts or verrucae, your community pharmacy can give you advice. Your pharmacist can give you medicine on the NHS without you having to pay for it under the minor ailements scheme.
- NHS 24 111 offer telephone health advice and an information service where you can talk confidentially to nurses or health information advisers
- If you suffer from an exacerbation of a chronic disease i.e. an illness that cannot be cured but symptoms can be treated such as asthma, COPD or diabetes, the practice nurses can help you manage your symptoms.
- Emergency contraception is available at most of the community pharmacies in Hamilton and Blantyre. The Practice Nurse and Practice Pharmacists can offer advice on stopping smoking or you can refer yourself directly for smoking cessation
- The family child nurses at Udston Hospital can offer support and advice for new mothers and problems with babies and small children
- For dental problems, you should see a dentist. If you are not registered with a dentist, contact our Community Primary Care Department on 01236 707711
COMMUNITY PHARMACISTS operate a MINOR AILMENTS service for children, over 60s and patients in receipt of certain benefits. This covers advice and free treatment (if needed) for a variety of minor illnesses and complaints such as acne, athlete’s foot, backache, cold sores, constipation, cough, diarrhoea, earache, eczema and allergies, haemorrhoids (piles), hayfever, headache, head lice, indigestion, mouth ulcers, nasal congestion, pain, period pain, thrush, sore throat, threadworms, warts and verrucae.
FOR EYE PROBLEMS YOUR FIRST PORT OF CALL SHOULD BE THE OPTOMETRIST - An OPTOMETRIST. is the best person to assess urgent eye problems, check for eye disorders and treat eye conditions. They have the professional training and necessary equipment to assess most eye problems.
Many optometrists are part of the Lanarkshire Eye-health Network Scheme (LENS) including
- The Optical Factory 01698 458005
- Hornstein Opticians 01698 282378
- McMenamin Opticians 01698 283838
- Specsavers 01698 891565
- Boots Opticians 01698 281704
- As part of LENS they can offer an appointment and assessment service for any concerns you may have with the health of your eyes or eye injuries including: red eye, sore eye, deterioration of eyesight or any other disturbance of eyesight.
JOINT, MUSCLE OR BACK PAIN - You can phone 0845 604 0001 for JOINT, MUSCLE OR BACK problems to be given advice or to be referred to PHYSIOTHERAPIST without attending the surgery.
ALWAYS CALL 999 IF SOMEOME IS SERIOUSLY ILL OR INJURED AND THEIR LIFE IS AT RISK.
Get Well, Keep Well
Of course we’re not just here for when you are unwell. Our team of healthcare professionals and back-up staff offer a number of clinics and services to promote good health and wellbeing whatever your medical condition.
We hope you enjoy having a look around the site and familiarising yourself with some of the online features such as ordering a repeat prescription and booking routine GP appointments.
The surgery premises provide a disabled toilet on the ground floor, and full wheelchair access throughout the ground floor.
(Site updated 15/11/2016)